Tuna Kebabs on the braai
This recipe is quick and easy to make and will surely impress your family and friends.This is a good way of introducing Tuna to kids.
- 800 g fresh Yellowfin Tuna steak
- Fresh red chilli (optional, to taste)
- Spring onion
- Sesame seeds (white and black mixed together)
- Fresh lime
- Red onion
- Red or yellow pepper
- Kebab sticks
- Basmati Rice
- Hoisin sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Juice of 1/2 lime (don’t use to much lime, this will cook your fish)
- Chilli to taste (chopped in rings)
- Spring onion (chopped in rings)
1. Mix ingredients together for marinade.
2. Cut the fresh yellowfin tuna into 3x3 cm cubes and add to marinade. Marinade for 30 minutes. (Don’t marinade too long, you will lose too much of your tuna flavor.)
3. Cut the red onion and pepper in similar size chunks.
4. Now it’s time to put your kebab together. One block of meat, one piece of onion, one piece of pepper, and repeat. Leave enough space between your ingredients for easy cooking. Sprinkle with sesame seed mixture.
5. Add your marinade to a sauce pan, bring to a boil and set aside. You can add some Hoisin sauce for some extra flavor and texture, if desired. This will become the sauce for your finished dish.
6. Braai your kebabs on a very high heat for no more than 2-3 minutes a side, depending on the heat of your coals. Inside should be pink. While still sizzling hot, squeeze lime juice over.
7. Serve kebabs on a basmati rice, rice noodles or a crisp Asian salad! Pour the cooked marinade sauce over (that you heated through in step 5), sprinkle with more sesame seeds, chopped chilli, spring onion and enjoy.
- You can also use this marinade to make seared Yellowfin tuna in the pan. Cover in sesame seeds before you sear your fish. Use a very hot pan and cook for only 2-3 minutes on a side. Be careful not to overcook, Tuna can be dry and tasteless if overcooked.
- You can serve seared tuna steak or kebabs with a simple spicy Mayo dip. This is a mixture of 2/3 mayo and 1/3 Siracha.
- You can also serve with a spicy peanut sauce. (Please contact me for recipe.)
- Please use fresh tuna within 4 days of delivery for best quality.
- Do not home freeze tuna steaks. Tuna does not like the freezer and quality goes down quickly. (If you have no choice but to freeze, freeze for no longer than 10 days!)